BOXER UNION PLAYLIST #21
Our featured model this month is The Tony, a light green small geometrical print boxer inspired by Tony Soprano. So it´s the perfect excuse for making a compilation of songs that have appeared in the popular television series in which James Gandolfini plays that amazing main character.
The Sopranos is an American crime drama television series created by David Chase. Revolving around the fictional character and family of New Jersey-based Italian American mobster Tony Soprano, the show portrays the difficulties he faces as he tries to balance the conflicting requirements of his home life and his criminal organization. The Sopranos first season was released in 1999 an the last season was released in 2007.
During the six seasons of The Sopranos, lot of bands and singers from different countries, styles and decades lent their songs. We’ve done a selection of our favourite tunes. Some of the selected performers are Henry Mancini, Cake, Elvis Presley, Etta James, Dean Martin, Bruce Springsteen or The Rolling Stones. We hope you like it.
01. Peter Gunn Theme. The Ultimate Mancini Orchestra
02. I’ll Never Fall In Love Again. Dionne Warwick
03. Gloria. Van Morrison
04. Suspicious Minds. Elvis Presley
05. Baubles, Bangles and Beads. Frank Sinatra
06. Gotta Serve Somebody. Bob Dylan
07. The Blues Is My business. Etta james
08. Dancing In The Dark. Tony Bennett
09. I Love Paris. Dean Martin
10. Tenderly. Chet Baker
11. Green Onions. Booker T & The M.G.’s
12. I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles. Les Paul
13. My Lover’s Prayer. Ottis Redding
14. This Is On My side. Irma Thomas
15. Frank Sinatra. Cake
16. I’ve Got A Feeling. Campbell Brothers
17. Thru And Thru. The Rolling Stones
18. State Trooper. Broce Springsteen
19. Tiny Tears. Tindersticks
20. Non Ti Scordar Di Me. Luciano Pavarotti
JAMES GANDOLFINI IS TONY
The Sopranos is widely considered to be the best TV show of all time, transforming the fiction industry landscape forever. This crime drama television series created by David Chase and HBO proved audiences in their living room were smarter than they would ever been given credit for. Hollywood and film business got shocked realizing how a non top cast could reach such a good success.
The series chronicles a dysfunctional, suburban American immigrant family in bold relief. Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) tries to balance the conflicting requirements of his home life and his criminal organization in New Jersey. An additional perspective is conveyed by the intimate conversations Tony has with this psychotherapist, a way to stitch everything and let you get inside Tony´s head.
Of course, costume plays an important role in this mobster series. Tony and the rest of the crew mixes the ‘formal wear’ (oh! those flash ties…) with a so cheesy and retro italian casual style. See the fantastic array of shirts (hawaiians, two tones, crazy checks…), the printed polos and the tracksuits they wear. But vest and bathrobe may be one of the most familiar items of clothing in the gangster´s wardrobe. It was clear to Boxer Union one of our first models should be named after a gangster boss. THE TONY is a clear green small geometrical print boxer you can still find in our online store and authorized dealers.
BOXER UNION PLAYLIST #20
Few days ago we received the bad news that David Bowie had passed away, so Boxer Union decided to pay tribute and create a playlist with covers of some of his most greatest songs. Performers and groups like Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr., Seu Jorge, Anna Calvi, Beck or Janelle Monáe perform hits such as Space Oddity, Life in Mars?, Ashes To Ashes, China Girl or Heroes.
David Bowie is without any doubt one of the most innovative artists of the XX century, particularly for his work in the 1970s. David highlited as singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and record producer, but he worked also as painter and actor. Bowie’s career was marked by reinvention, musical innovation and visual presentation. His songs and stagecraft brought a new dimension to popular music, influencing its immediate forms and its subsequent development. During his lifetime, he sold an estimated 140 million records worldwide.
He was also one of the most stylish musicians of the past century. During his years of career, David Bowie has come all the fashion trends of the second half of the past century, from the mod style to the glam rock. Regardless of the decade he always defend a mens classic garment, the suit.
01. Five Years. David Bowie
02. Ashes To Ashes, Pt. 1. Warpaint
03. Diamond Dogs. Beck
04. Space Oddity. Powerman 5000
05. Life On Mars? Seu Jorge
06. China Girl. Anna Ternheim
07. Ziggy Stardust. Bauhaus
08. The Man Who Sold The World. Nirvana
09. Quicksand. Dinosaur Jr.
10. Changes. Lewis & Clarke
11. Moonage Daydream. Brazzaville
12. Starman. Culture Club
13. John, I’m Only Dancing. Jesca Hoop
14. Boys Keep Swinging. Duran Duran
15. Heroes. Janelle Monáe
16. Fame. Eurythmics
17. Oh! You Pretty Things. Au Revoir Simone
18. Let’s Dance. M. Ward
19. Lady Grinning Soul. Anna Calvi
20. Lady Stardust. David Bowie
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN IS ALLEN
The recently deceased Philip Seymour Hoffman is Allen, a strange loner in Todd Solondz´s movie ‘Hapiness’ but also the name of one of our latest boxer styles.
Born in New York, Hoffman quickly became an income of indie cinema. ‘Hapinness’ was released in 1998 defining the term black comedy. It tells a multistory tale of sex, perversion and loneliness on a fractured family from New Jerseys, the Jordans. Hoffman took an unflattering role: Allen is frustrated for lack of a woman in his life so he makes lewd crank phone calls to women. Some critics said it was one of the creepiest characters in American cinema. Solondz won the Cannes International Critics Prize that year.
Films like ‘The Talented Mr. Ripley’ or ‘Magnolia’ took the actor to the next level, playing supporting roles on cult films a the end of the 90s. Hoffman consolidated his reputation as one the finest actors under the age of 40 with his turn in ‘Truman Capote’. He was awarded the Best Actor Oscar for that role in 2006.
The ALLEN is a medium navy check style that is chosen for different Boxer Union friends profiles and it is one of our best sellers in last Christmas Holidays.
BOXER UNION PLAYLIST #19
Even without noticing, Christmas is once again around the corner… December is a special and magical month in the calendar. Time to meet the family and friends for having a break from our turbulent daily lives. And music plays an important role these days. Christmas songs are the soundtrack of these celebrations, singing with children but also enjoying on yourself on the sofa.
Our monthly playlist consists of a selection of bands and singers of all the times on both sides of the Atlantic. Crooners like Michael Bublé and Frank Sinatra, british bands like The Pogues or The Kinks, country legends like Roy Orbison and Johnny Cash… Every artist have a Xmas cover in his music repertory.
So turn on your speakers, pour up a hot cup of coffee and enjoy our playlist!
01. Fairytale Of New York. The Pogues
02. The Christmas Waltz. She & Him
03. What Christmas Means To Me. Stevie Wonder
04. Blue Christmas. Elvis Presley
05. Father Christmas. The Kinks
06. Happy Christmas (War Is Over). John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band
07. Little Saint Nick. The Beach Boys
08. Christmas Lights. Coldplay
09. Holly Jolly Christmas. Michel Bublé
10. Have yourserlf A Merry Little Christmas. Frank Sinatra
11. Give Love On Christmas Day. The Jackson Five
12. Driving Home For Christmas. Chris Rea
13. Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree. Brenda Lee
14. The Little Drummer Boy. Johnny Cash
15. Step Into Christmas. Elton John
16. Pretty Paper. Roy Orbison
17. Someday At Christmas. Stevie Wonder
18. Sleigh Ride. Ella Fitxgerald
19. Winter Wonderland. Louis Armstrong
20. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. She & Him
BOXER UNION PLAYLIST #18
Welcome to Modern Classics 1962. We are beginning a series of playlists in which we’ll be relating different years and the landmarks that happened in them. We start in 1962, the year in which the first James Bond film ‘Dr. No’ was released. In the film, James Bond (Sean Connery) is sent to Jamaica to investigate the disappearance of a fellow British agent.
At first, let´s talk about cars. Throughout the James Bond series of films and novels, Q Branch has given Bond a wide variety of vehicles with which to battle his enemies. Among the most noteworthy gadgets, Bond has been equipped with various vehicles that have numerous modifications to include elaborate weapons and anti-pursuit systems, alternative transportation modes, and various other functions, but one car in particular has always been linked to Mr. Bond’s luxurious collection, the Aston Martin DB5. Also this year various iconic cars were launched: Triumph Spitfire, Saab Sport and Pontiac Le Mans were the most prominent. Also in 1962 came the Ferrari 250 GT Lusso with fastback body, a timeless classic. The Norton Atlas motorcycle was launched also this year.
A lot of important films were released in the year 1962. Among others, we highlight classics such as ‘Lawrence of Arabia’, ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’, ‘Lolita’, ‘The Man Who Shot Liberty Balance’, ‘Sweet Bird of Youth’, ‘Vivre sa Vie’ or ‘Days of Wine and Roses’. Actors such as James Mason, Jack Lemmon, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman were in the peak of their career that year. 1962 was also the year in which Marilyn Monroe passed away.
About the music, a lot of transcendent events occurred during 1962: mythical bands as The Rolling Stones and The Animals were founded; The Beach Boys released their first album, ‘Surfin’ Safari’; Ringo Starr joined The Beatles (they began the recording of ‘The Red Album’ this year); and Elvis Presley released his album ‘Girls, Girls, Girls’. You can listen some of the sounds of that year in our monthly playlist, containing songs by John Barry Orchestra, Françoise Hardy, Elvis Presley, The Beach Boys, Henri Mancini or Elmer Bernstein.
1962 was the year in which Brazil won their second Football World Cup (in Chlie), american basketball player Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in one match, and the man orbited Earth for the first time.
A bunch of classic industrial design items were created in 1962. Achille Castiglioni and his brother Pier Giacomo designed this year ‘The Arco’, a floor lamp that works as an overhead light without the need for wiring. The simple elegance and style that have made it, like many of the brothers’ 150 products, a design classic that is still selling strongly today. The 620 armchair was designed by Dieter Rams in 1962 too. Looking like it’s been lifted straight out of the first class cabin on Concorde, the minimal, precise design is completely modular. It’s actually described as a “kit of parts, not just a chair” A chair to last a lifetime, or perhaps more.
01. James Bond Theme (From Dr. No). John Barry Orchestra
02. Walk On The Wild Side. Elmer Bernstein
03. Les temps de l´amour. Françoise Hardy
04. Return To Sender. Elvis Presley
05. Kingston Calypso. Byron Lee
06. Baby Elephant Walk. Henry Mancini
07. Night Train. Oscar Peterson Trio
08. Wipe Out. The Surfaris
09. Big Girls don´t Cry. Frankie Vally & The Tour Seasons
10. Little Town Flirt. Del Shannon
11. It´s Raining. Irma Thomas
12. 409. The Beach Boys
13. Do You Love Me? The Contours
14. Green Onions. Broker T. & The M.G.´s
15. Limbo Rock. Chubby Checker
16. Cheese Cake. Dexter Gordon
17. Night And Day. Frank Sinatra
18. Jamaica Jazz. Monty Norman
19. Days Of Wine And Roses. Henry Mancini
20. To Kill A Monkgbird. Elmer Bernstein